Chakra (energy vortex), is a sanskrit word that means ‘a spinning disc’ or ‘a wheel.’ There are seven major of these energy connections in the subtle body through which the life force (prana) or vital energy moves. Chakras attract healthy energy for us to absorb, and throws off negative energy that we no longer need. The healthier the chakra is, the more energy we attract.
Heart Chakra (Anahata, in Sanskrit) is the 4th chakra, located in the centre of the chest. Since this lies in the center, it helps in balancing the whole body by linking all the other chakras. It is associated with feelings of Unconditional love, forgiveness and compassion. If we have a healthy balanced heart chakra then we are able to give and receive love easily.
The symbolic meaning of ‘Heart chakra’ is to “Let Go and Let God’; which means accepting that “everything and everyone is part of divine plan”, and thus seeing it with love and compassion. All the issues related to Unconditional Love, Self Love, Forgiveness, Relationships, Devotion, Depression, Loneliness are related to the issues of Heart Chakra.
Balanced heart chakra is characterized by feelings of Compassion, Love, Balanced, Self love, Peace, having good Immune system
Unbalanced Heart Chakra is characterized by feelings of being demanding, jealous, having poor boundaries, overly sacrificing, possessive (Excess); and being antisocial, cold, shy, judgmental, lonely, fear of intimacy or relationships, lack of empathy, bitterness (Deficient).
At Emotional level, heart chakra affects emotions of love, compassion, despair, hate, envy, fear
At Physical level, it affects Heart & Circulatory system, Lungs, Shoulders, arms & hands, thymus glands, Diaphragm. Thus Physical dysfunctions may include Disorders of heart, lungs, thymus, breasts, arms, asthma, allergy, circulatory system (blood related diseases), immune system deficiency and tension between shoulders.
Self-test for heart chakra
Before we go towards healing our heart chakra, we can do self test below –
- Do you have difficulty accepting yourself the way you are or lack self-love?
- Do you have difficulty accepting others as they are?
- Are you experiencing a lack of freedom in your life?
- Do you keep anger or grudges against others?
- Do you have difficulty making up your mind and find yourself indecisive?
- Are you always saying “yes” to other people’s demands and requests?
- Do you fear rejection or being abandoned by other people?
- Do you feel jealous and find yourself envious of others?
Daily affirmations to heal and balance the heart chakra
- I Love and Accept myself.
- I am worthy of receiving the love of God and others.
- The universe provides me with unconditional love.
- I practice compassion, acceptance, and forgiveness daily for myself and others.
- I accept people as they are and easily forgive them as I do to myself.
- I let go of feeling of anger, fear, hatred, guilt and being a victim.
- I am able to appreciate & express gratitude for what I already have.